Municipality of Aktio-Vonitsa

At the NW edge of county Aetolia & Acarnania there is Vonitsa - Anaktorion and Action area - which is the capital of the Municipality of Action-Vonitsa. Vonitsa with population 4.050 inhabitants is the administrative seat of the municipality and the most populous district. Residents of the municipality is 10,000 of which approximately 90% employed in primary sector. The climate is temperate Mediterranean to the plains, with mild winters and cool summers.

In regions dominated Anaktorion, pines, cypresses and wild oak trees composing a landscape of unique beauty. The wetlands of the Gulf Amvrakikos live rare species of birds, while important is the presence of Caretta caretta and large numbers of dolphins. In the region recorded significant habitats, which have been included in the EU CORINE program. The lakes and lagoons Voulkaria, which delineated as wetlands through the EU NATURA 2000 and under the International Convention RAMSAR. The Limeni, Vonitsas lagoon, which also joined the Treaty RAMSAR. Also significant is the lagoon wetland Rouga and of course all the Amvrakikos Gulf, which is the largest wetland area in Greece and is protected by international treaties.

The ancient Anactorion was an important city of Acarnania, founded by Corinthians in 630 BC. Declined when the Romans founded Nicopolis, on the opposite side of Amvrakikos and forced the residents to be transferred there. In Byzantine times the city flourished again, named Vonitsa this time and at the exact point where it is today. During the Ottoman rule the city passed a long time under the control of the Venetians, from 1684 to 1797. In 1832 it became part of the new Greek state.

The Municipal Section owes its name to the ancient city Anactorion situated at about the current Vonitsa and was one of the most important of Acarnania. The district Thyrreio was also an important city of Acarnania and eventually believed was the biggest in the region. Within the boundaries of the municipality and is also an important historical Aktion area and the common sanctuary of Acarnanians.

Thyrreio of Acarnania

Built in medieval place Saint Vasilios, the ancient Thyrreio was greater or at least one of the largest cities of ancient Acarnania. Judging from the perimeter walls approaching 10 km, many researchers considered the largest and the Athens of the 5th century. On the spelling of the name Thyrreio no researcher has been able to give convincing interpretation. In the texts of historians of antiquity we find sometimes writing "Thyrreion" before writing "Thyrion" and sometimes writing "Thourio". In inscriptions and coins found writing "Thyrreion" or "Thyrrion" (or with the signed) in which the scholars are the same thing.
In the village Thyrreio exists an Archaeological Museum with finds from the area of ​​Anactorion.

Aktion

The Aktion is last Cape of Acarnania, at the entrance of Amvrakikos Bay, across from Preveza, which lies just 725 meters. The Aktion is now known worldwide, in addition to the Battle of Actium, both from the NATO airfield (aircraft stationed here electronic warfare AWACS). Cape Actium was the 5th century BC, the famous Temple of Apollo at Actium, built by the inhabitants of the ancient city Anactorium. This temple has been demolished by an earthquake and subsidence of the sea. Every two years in the Actium became the "Aktion," horse races and athletic and celebrations to commemorate the cities of Acarnania Apollo (god of music and the arts). In the sea area of ​​Aktion and Preveza at the second of September, 31 BC, the namesake battle that decided the fate of the top leadership of the Roman state.

Paleros

In antiquity the creation of city-state has allowed the establishment of autonomous cities, such as strong Paleros, and Sollion, Toryveia, perhaps the classic Nirikos years. The autonomy of the cities are full and between there are not legal links even in foreign policy issues. In the fourth century b.C, there are indications that he had established a federal Acarnanian state, "Public of Acarnanians," but whose consistency was very relaxed. Until 250 BC Stratos is the capital. And then until 167 b.C. is the capital of Lefkada and in 167 BC Thyrreion is the third capital of the joint.

In Hellenistic times the western Greeks, and with it the Acarnania, invades at the forefront of history. The area generally follows the fortunes of the whole Acarnania. This period is to Acarnania turbulent times: is occupied by Pyrrhus of Epirus in 294 BC and released in 272 BC Towards the middle of the third century, Acarnanians accept the combined attack of the Aetolians and King Alexander of Epirus. At the same time probably Alexander subdued Lefkada.

At the end of the third century, Rome actively intervene in Greek affairs. The Acarnanians remain constant allies of Macedonia, which is the main rival of Rome. In 197 BC The Roman consul Flamininus occupied the capital of the Joint Acarnanians. After the defeat of the Achaean League in Lefkopetra of Corinth in 146 BC, Greece was under the full sovereignty of Rome. After the battle of Actium in 31 BC, the cities of Acarnania deserted. The foundation of Nicopolis, means and standard removal of the "League of Acarnanians." During the 3rd AD century all Acarnania with the mainland, Cephalonia, Lefkada, Ithaki, Zakynthos and Corfu are a separate province, with headquarters in Nicopolis.

The administrative change that will last for centuries. And in the middle Byzantine period, will be the "theme of Nicopolis." The testimonies indicate that during the fifth century there Acarnanian cities, probably because of the devastating invasions of the Goths and the Vandals. The same area is during the late Byzantine era the main part of Epirus. In the 15th century Acarnania, western domination in passes rulers and is part of the territory of Tocchi.

Then comes the Ottoman advance. In 1460 the entire Acarnania occupied by the Turks, except Vonitsa. From then until the revolution of 1821, the area is under Ottoman domination. Initially, after 1460, is part of the sanjak Karleli, ie the region which until then belonged to Tokkos, with capital Aggelokastro. A little later, after the Ottoman conquest of Lefkada and Vonitsa in 1479, became part of sanjak of Santa Maura, which included the Lefkada and Vonitsa. The island and Vonitsa after 1684 were occupied by the other Venice area continued to remain under the Ottoman yoke.

The area after 1821 became part of the Greek state. In the NW of 3 / April 15, 1833 were placed in Acarnania Prefecture, which were the former provinces of Valtos and Xiromero and Vonitsa.